To parents and cadets of 220 Red River Sqn.
Note: The Provincial Effective Speaking Competition on Feb 15 has been postponed.
The following is a message from the National Commander of Cadets and JCR.
The National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group has been directed to adopt an aggressive posture to minimize personnel risk of exposure and to prevent members of the Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers organizations from becoming a transmission vector.
As such, March 10, 2020 CANCDTGEN 008/20 is to issue amplifying direction related to travel policies and Cadet and Junior Canadian Ranger activities, and preventative measures to better protect CAF members, cadets and Junior Canadian Rangers from COVID-19.
· The Cadet program is a safe, fun and secure place for young people to enjoy experiences they can’t get anywhere else, and we want to ensure that we can continue to offer these valuable programs in communities across the country.
Participants who are displaying symptoms such as cough and fever should seek medical attention and take time to recover before returning to activities. They will not be penalized for their absence, but are directed to notify their cadet corps, squadron to ensure that your absence is recorded as excused.
· The National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group is in close contact with the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces as well as other federal departments in order to maintain proper situational awareness on the novel coronavirus situation in Canada, and to synchronize interdepartmental actions under the lead of Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC).
On the decision to cancel, postpone or reschedule activities:
· Commander of the National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group (Natl CJCR Sp Gp) has ordered a review of all travel requests focusing on non-essential travel to areas affected by outbreaks of the virus and has rescinded authorization for international recreational trips through April 30, 2020, and directed a review of all additional domestic core and recreational trips.
· As per CANFORGEN 020/20, Commanders at all levels are responsible to assess any scheduled activity involving large gatherings in order to determine its necessity. Following this assessment, the decision to continue with, cancel or postpone any particular event or activity will be at the discretion of the chain of command.
*CO's note: Inter-squadron activities have been postponed or may need to be canceled. Squadron parades are still permitted but we wish to caution- as above - those who are displaying symptoms such as cough and fever should seek medical attention and take time to recover before returning to activities.
The Provincial Effective Speaking competition is postponed, MintOlympics is cancelled until further notice, and MB Concert band is cancelled until further notice.
Parade nights will carry on as usual with utmost safety in mind as will 220 Band practices until further notice.
· The safety and welfare of all who participate in our programs is always our top priority, as such we take very seriously our responsibility to protect cadets from any real or apparent health or safety concern.
· Decisions to cancel, postpone or reschedule activities and events are never taken lightly. This decision is being made to protect cadets, their families and staff from the unnecessary risk of exposure and the possibility of quarantine or self-isolation, either overseas or upon their return to Canada.
· Rest assured that the National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group is committed above all to the safety and security of all who participate in our programs, but will look for opportunities to reschedule events or activities to ensure we continue to offer unique and challenging opportunities for the youth of the Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers programs.
As this situation is quite fluid we ask for your continued patience and will post information as it comes in.
We will be able to confirm other training activities by end of April - as directed by Command.
Questions will be addressed thru fb messenger, email, or phone.
Capt Judy Undiks, CD